Clear Fish Soup Recipe
How to make Clear Fish Soup, a recipe from the Lao News Agency (KPL), published on March 08, 2005.
* Pork bones, trimmed of any fat and washed
* I small rice-bowl (i.e. about 200 g) grilled fish, deponed
* I small rice-bowl (i.e. about 4 to 5) shallots, peeled
* ½ small rice-bowl (i.e. about 2 tbsp.) jelly mushrooms, cleaned, boiled and sliced
* 2 hen’s eggs-make them into a thin omelet, then fold the omelet, cut it into strips of 2 cm, slice the strips thinly lengthwise and put them on a plate
* Spring onion, the green parts, chopped
* Coriander leaves, chopped
* 3 Kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped with a knife
* Ground black pepper, salt and fish sauce
* 6 straight-bubbled spring onions
* 2 bunches coriander (I bunch consists of 2 or 3 sprigs)
* I small rice-bowl Chinese vermicelli, soaked in water and cut up small
Put 3 metal jugfuls (3 pints) of water in a soup pot. Place the pot on the fire. Add salt, the 6 spring onions, and the bunches of coriander leaves with their roots. When the water boils, add the pork bones and put the lid on the pot. Leave it until the bones are cooked sufficiently for the meat to fall off them.
Take the pot off the fire and spoon out the meat. If there is still any fat left, cut it all off.
Strain the broth and return it to the pot. Add the meat and return the pot to the fire. Add the shallots, the jelly mushrooms and the fish sauce. When the shallots are cooked, add the Chinese vermicelli. When all is done, taste and check the saltiness.
Take the pot off the fire. Add the prepared strips of omelet and the dried fish. Serve in a bowl and garnish with the chopped spring onion leaves, the chopped coriander leaves, the finely chopped Kaffir lime leaves and the ground black pepper. Accompany the dish with Jaew Kapi.